Saturday, September 5, 2009

Old Walking Stick restored











I not only create new wood pieces, but buy and restore old ones. I've just finished an old Maori walking stick. Fabulous carving, but when I bought it it was broken in two places, and one eye was missing. Repairing the handle was easy, but where the shaft was broken, it was totally munted, with even some of the carving missing. So i had to gradually build it up using sawdust and PVA, and then re-carve it. It's not as good as the original, but most people have to look a second time to see where it is, and only find it because it's shinier than the rest. Hopefully in time, it'll all blend in together. I used a bit of recycled antique ivory for the eye, so it looks the age. I think it's about a hundred years old, and by the look of the style, may have been carved by Tene Waitere.

No comments:

Post a Comment