Tuesday, September 1, 2009

September Exhibition









There's a great exhibition on in Hastings for the month of September. It's part of the blossom festival (Yeh! Spring!). Three entries from each exibitor are allowed. I decided to put the dolphin that's he feature sculpture on my web site in, my most recent large red beech whale tail, and a red beech burr bowl. I didn't have a suitable bowl made, but had a really nicely shaped burr in my den (the hermitage) that, by the colour of the outside, had to be red beech. We had to enter the dimensions, so I measured the burr, and sent off the application. Then some time later, after it was too late to change the enries, I thought I'd better get it done. I ripped into it with the chainsaw, and was cutting it on greywacke. The shavings coming off were the same colour as the greywacke! It wasn't a red beech burr at all! In fact, I'd never seen a burr of this colour at all! Not only that, but when I'd finished it, it was not only grey, with some little red burr dots showing through, but the whole thing has a ghostly silver sheen to it, with a holographic effect! (This burr bowl is available from me Ph. +64 (06) 8366216). I think it's a puriri burr. It's about 50x40cm by 12.5 cm deep. Real munty sized fruit bowl.
So then I had to go out and find a red beech burr of the right size. Luckily I found a suitable one, which has come up stunningly, and because it's still wet (having just washed up on the beach) weighs pretty heavily.
The opening was on Monday evening, and a good time was had by all. The other works exhibited are also of a really high standard - I was pretty impressed. The exhibition is at the Hastings Art Centre in Russell St (ph. 8789447) and runs until the 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment