Sunday, September 27, 2009

Te Kehua


This would have to be one of the ugliest sculptures I've ever done - well, one that I've ever seen, even, but some people think it's great! and I didn't even do much to it! Mostly naturally sculptured, I took the top half off the beach & brought it home because I thought it was an interesing piece of wood, pyramidical in form, and kept turning it over to contemplate all sides, a few days or weeks at a time, and you can imagine my reaction when I discovered this! Aaaarrrgh!
It was too good to ignore, though, so I found the base, and polished up a face on that, too. I reckon the base looks like a sleeping lamb, you know, with it's head to one side as they do. I contemplated many names for it. Of course many people have suggested "The Scream", but that's been done. "The Spirit of Evil" stuck for a while. The story I made up to go with him (I know you're supposed to do it the other way round, but too bad) is that he represents those who prey on others, and the lamb represents the innocents. He's protecting his prey, while revelling in the fact that he's claimed his victim, at the same time looking around for the next. He may be looking at you and saying "You're next". Recently, an old Maori man walked past our place, and stopped to look at the sculptures I have on my front lawn, and said how good he thought they were, so I invitied him to look at my other sculptures. When he saw this one, he exclaimed "That looks like a Kehua!" so now he's "Te Kehua" (the Spirit). Red beech, pohutukawa base. I've got NZ$1500 on him, but if anyone wants him, I'm VERY negotiable!
I'm going to be away in Thailand for a wee holiday, so I'll catch you later on in October. Meantime, check out my new web site my daughter Christie's done for me www.driftwoodsculptures.co.nz.
Cheers, Paddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment